Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus Railway Station of Central Railway in Mumbai has received Gold certification as per Confederation of Indian Industry’s Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) ratings and with that has become the first railway station in Maharashtra to get this certification.
Central Railway has implemented various green initiatives across its zone, with plantation creating green areas, installation of solar panels, customer friendly initiatives at many stations, LED bulbs and lights etc. Further, the Mumbai Division of Central Railway has put in concerted efforts in implementing many Green & passenger friendly initiatives across its stations especially at Chhtratpati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus. Some of the green Building and Passenger friendly features enabling CSMT Railway station to receive the IGBC Green Certification are:
- Station is designed to be commuter friendly for differently abled and senior citizens.
- Electric charging points for some of parking spaces to encourage electric 2 & 4 wheelers in parking lot
- More than 15% of the station site area is covered with trees and small parks. Landscape area, lawns etc maintained with organic manure.
- CSMT station has installed on site 245 kWp solar panels
- 100% lamps have been replaced with LED fixtures at station
- 17 occupancy sensors installed in various offices and waiting rooms
- Energy efficient BLDC and HVLS fans are provided and installed at various locations.
- Comprehensive Mechanized Cleaning Contract focusing on platforms, concourse, circulating areas, parking places, tracks, roof tops, shutters, waiting halls etc. The chemicals used by the contractors are bio-degradable and eco-friendly (Green Pro)
- Smart passenger amenities like Wifi, Automatic Ticket Vending Machines, Tourism information & Booking Centre, Food Court, Pharmacy & Medical Facility, etc.
CSMT is a historic and UNESCO World Heritage site located in the heart of Mumbai city. The Railways has chalked out a redevelopment plan for the station that encapsulates integration of various modes to make this railway station a multimodal transport hub. It will include segregation of arrival and departure, divyang friendly station, better level of services for passengers, energy efficient building and restoring the heritage site as per its 1930 levels. The CSMT railway station will function like a city centre rail mall where in addition to a passenger’s transportation needs, his daily needs will also be fulfilled, like- Retail, F&B, Entertainment, Souvenir shopping. The aim is that most of his daily needs are catered to by visiting the railway station thus avoiding unnecessary travel within the city.