An MoU was signed between Ministry of Railways and Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) for facilitation of green initiatives in Indian Railways at New Delhi, yesterday. Indian Railways have undertaken some major Green initiatives as part of India’s contribution towards mitigation of global warming and combating climate change and the latest MoU will help to carry forward this green initiative further ahead.
The objectives of the MoU are:
- Energy efficiency in manufacturing facilities and railway workshops
- Greening of Railway properties
- Demonstrative pilots of ‘net-zero energy buildings/ railway stations’
- Capacity and skill development by continuous sharing of best practices on energy and environment through training programmes
- Development of Green procurement policy, waste management policy, solid waste disposal, carbon neutrality, phytoremediation
Indian Railways & CII have been working together since signing of MoU in 2016 on Green Rating & Energy Efficiency Studies of IR’s Production Units & major workshops and after assessment in last three years, 50 Railway Units including workshops and production units have achieved GreenCo certification. In addition, 12 Railway stations and 16 more buildings and other facilities have also achieved Green certification.
GreenCo rating system developed by CII evaluates the green initiative and the rate of performance of industrial units who are pursuing environmentally sustainable practice and also certifies green building, green campus and green schools etc.