MbPT land may get special zone tag

MbPT land may get special zone tag

0
Comments Off on MbPT land may get special zone tag

The Maharashtra government may soon accord special planning zone tag for Mumbai Port Trust land. There are about 960 hectares of MbPT land in the heart of Mumbai. This will enable MbPT to become Special Planning Authority (SPA). Once the special planning zone tag is accorded, Mumbai’s development control regulations wont become applicable to this area. The proposal comes close on the heels of the Development Plan 2034 making a case for the denotification of all such special planning zones within Mumbai.

However, the government’s proposal may face resistance from Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. BMC has an ambitious plan to build 10 lakh new affordable homes within the next two decades by unlocking of land parcels hitherto marked as no-development zones, salt pan lands, tourism development areas, and MbPT land. However, state government’s latest move may derail BMC’s future plans.

BMC had plans to use about 140 hectare of MbPT land for low cost houses and open spaces. It may be noted here that Union Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari, had recommended that the port activities be restricted to 40 per cent of the MbPT land, unlocking the remaining 60 per cent, about 576 hectares, for building commercial spaces, offices, gardens, parks and infrastructure.