According to Shri Kaushal Kishore, the Minister of State in the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, the government has taken several important steps for promoting use of alternate materials for sand. He was replying to a question in the Lok Sabha in the Lok Sabha yesterday.
Some of the steps taken by the government so far include:
- Inclusion of alternate fine aggregates in relevant Indian Standard “IS: 383-2016 “Coarse & Fine Aggregate for Concrete – Specification.”
- Use of Construction & Demolition (C&D) waste-based products which includes fine aggregate as partial substitute for sand by Public agencies.
- Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has issued SOR on Pre-cast Solid cement concrete blocks & Pavements made of C&D waste.
- CPWD has issued directions to use C&D waste products in its construction works.
- Various Public agencies such as NBCC, Delhi Development Authority (DDA), PWD Delhi have issued similar directives.
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has already issued Construction & Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016 which specifies for time bound setting up of C&D waste-based units by Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and usage of C&D waste products in the construction works.
Further, the National Council for Cement and Building Materials (NCB), Ministry of Commerce and Industry carried out Research & Development (R&D) project on developing alternative to natural sand. Based on NCB’s R&D input, use of C&D waste, bottom ash, copper slag and blast furnace slag etc. as alternative to natural sand for certain level of replacement have been included IS: 383 – 2016. Based on further research being carried out by NCB, the present level of replacement in IS: 383 is proposed to be enhanced.