Home News Zaha Hadid firm to design Navi Mumbai airport

Zaha Hadid firm to design Navi Mumbai airport

The London based Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) has been chosen by the GVK led Navi Mumbai International Airport (P) Limited (NMIAL) to design the Navi Mumbai International Airportís Terminal 1 and ATC Tower. ZHA was selected on completion of a challenging and intensive 12 week fast track design competition amongst the best international architecture firms that were shortlisted by GVK.

ZHA is a world renowned firm established in 1979 and is known for its dynamic, innovative and iconic architecture with a portfolio of over nine hundred and fifty projects spread across forty four nations. The firm has designed Beijing’s new Daxing airport terminal of 700,000 sq.m. which is currently under construction. Their other landmark projects include the Olympic Aquatics Centre in London, the Heydar Aliyev Center in Baku, Azerbaijan, the MAXXI Contemporary Arts Centre in Rome, the Guangzhou Opera House in China, Al Wakrah Stadium for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and many more. This will be ZHA’s first major project in the Indian sub-continent.

We are committed towards bringing the best global practices from the industry to design, engineer and build this most awaited airport project in India and hence we decided to go with ZHA, a firm known for its path breaking and remarkable architecture. It also has the expertise of delivering a world class airport design through a highly professional team, said Dr GVK Reddy, Founder and Chairman, GVK and Chairman NMIAL in a statement.

Navi Mumbai International Airport (P) Ltd., is a Public Private Partnership venture in which the GVK led Mumbai International Airport (P) Ltd., (MIAL), has a 74 per cent stake with CIDCO, the nodal agency of the Government of Maharashtra, holding the remaining 26 per cent. GVK MIAL was declared the winning bidder for the Greenfield international airport that will be built on 1,160 hectares in phases and will eventually cater to 60 million passengers per year. The initial concession period is 30 years from the appointed date which is extendable for a further 10 years

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news from Sawdust




latest news