“A smart chair adapts to your weight and shape automatically, as if the chair were made for you personally.”
Niels Diffrient, Industrial Designer, Ergonomics Pioneer
Drawing inspiration from the three-dimensional approach tailors take when creating suits, Niels Diffrient wanted to build a minimal mesh chair with a back that automatically fits the user. As a result, when you sit in our mesh task chairs, they fit you like a perfectly tailored shirt.
Smart ocean by Humanscale-min
Incorporating almost 2 pounds of recycled NetPlus material, Smart Ocean designed by Humanscale is the embodiment of our commitment to sustainable manufacturing. Featuring the same Form-Sensing Mesh Technology and transparent functionality as the Diffrient Smart chair, Smart Ocean instantly adjusts to each unique user — as if each chair was made for them. With an aesthetic driven by functionality, Smart Ocean has a timeless beauty that’s universally relevant in any workspace.
Smart Ocean utilizes material from discarded ocean shing nets collected and recycled by Bureo, an emerging venture developing innovative solutions to prevent ocean plastic pollution. The nets are transformed into plastic pellets and then used to manufacture Smart Ocean chairs. Smart Ocean is the first-ever ergonomic chair to be built with recycled net and is also certified by the International Living Future Institute to the full Living Product Challenge meeting the most rigorous sustainable manufacturing criteria to date. Like every Diffrient Smart chair, the Smart Ocean has a lightweight design that minimizes the environmental impact of its shipping. Made of 100% recycled aluminum, its simple, modular design makes it easy to disassemble and maintain rather than replace the chair completely. All Diffrient Smart chairs are GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality, GREENGUARD Gold and level® 2 certified.
- Innovative weight-sensitive, self-locking recline mechanism with 20° of movement uses each sitter’s body weight to adjust the tension and recline of the chair
- Auto-pivot backrest with 7° back tilt offers lumbar support in all positions
- Tri-Panel, non-stretch, Form-Sensing Mesh Technology provides perfectly tailored comfort
- Contoured seat cushions closely follow the body’s shape while a waterfall edge offers long-term comfort, reducing pressure points and providing weight distribution
- Unique arm design attaches to the back frame to provide support during full range of recline
- Modular design ensures easy maintenance and allows the user to update the chair’s aesthetic
- A variety of high-performance textiles and proprietary meshes complement the chair’s form
- 15-year, 24/7 warranty
- Chair supports user height range of 5’0” – 6’4” and weight range of 100 lbs. – 300 lbs.
- Contoured seat cushions measure 19.25” wide and 2” thick
- 16.25” – 18.75” seat depth adjustment range
- Chair weight: 34 lbs. with arms, 31 lbs. without arms
- Available in the black frame configuration only