A new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) campus is being created in Nagpur, Maharashtra, India, by the Government of India’s Ministry of Health & Family Welfare to deliver world-class patient care, cutting-edge research, and education. The architectural planning and design team for the new 150-acre campus is led by the consortium of international design firm Perkins Eastman, comprising design leaders and consultants from seven of the firm’s 15 offices, and India firm Edifice Consultants Private Limited.
Located in the MIHAN development project, the site’s oblong urban form allows for ample opportunities to establish a fully integrated and walkable healthcare campus that’s supported by educational and research facilities, residential buildings, gardens and parklands, orange groves, and extensive green infrastructure.
The design follows a clean and formal geometric approach to campus planning with the inclusion of a ceremonial academic quad, a recreation center, playing fields, and abundant tree-lined pathways, which provide needed shading and relief from extreme weather conditions. The circulation plan is divided into public, private, service, and emergency zones, illustrating the careful organization of AIIMS Nagpur’s mix of uses.
The main component of the new campus is the medical zone, with a 960-bed hospital and standalone building for outpatient care and management. The design team applied best practices in evidence-based design to focus on creating a holistic model where patient treatment, research, and healthcare provider instruction receive equal support, and the direct benefits to these interrelated user groups will be quantifiable.
The medical campus is connected to the academic quad by a grand boulevard that runs across the site as the primary green circulation spine. The two zones are located in close proximity to encourage and generate a sense of neighborliness among residents, patients, students, and medical staff/faculty, all in a community that doubles as an active learning environment. The quad also includes a state-of-the-art training center that will focus on simulation-based medical teaching and learning.
A western residential zone features living quarters for faculty, nursing staff, and students, along with amenities such as a Faculty Club, a student recreation center, and various shopping facilities. These self-sufficient units are situated for privacy, yet are not sequestered from the larger campus.
Ultimately, AIIMS Nagpur’s distinct, interconnected campus plan and program layout create a holistic caring, learning, and living environment that reinforces AIIMS’s trinity of goals: Education, research, and patient care.
- project/owner/developer: All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Republic of India
- location: Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
- campus area: 150 acres
- design architect: Perkins Eastman
- interior design: Perkins Eastman
- landscape architect: RGR Landscape
- associate architect: Edifice Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
- environmental consultant: GRIHA: M/s Environmental Design Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- MEP engineer: Eskayem Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
- hospital consultant: AAA + Healthcare Consultancy Services Pvt. Ltd.
- structural engineer: M/s Vastech Consultants & Engineers LLP
- AV/acoustical/lighting: M/s T2 Technology Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
- quality surveyor: Gleeds Hooloomann Consulting India Pvt. Ltd.
- kitchen consultant: M/s HPG Consulting India Pvt. Ltd.
- fire consultant: Mitkat Advisory Services
- traffic consultant: GMD Consultants
- date of commencement: April 2017
- date of completion: 2020 (estimated)